Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default Goulds water pump excessive cycling

"Eric Scantlebury" wrote in message
Hello All,

I have an issue with my goulds well pump recently cycling on and off in an
excessive mannor. By excessive I mean the pump will kick on and off
several times a minute while water is being used in the house.

The specifics: I have a 1/2 horse power goulds Jet water pump model J5S
installed in my basement that is pulling water from a point in my front
yard (no well). This pump feeds a Wellmate WM-6 bladder water tank. The
pump is around 4 years old and the tank is around 10.

I think the pump is working fine as when an upstream valve is turned on
the preasure gauge on the pump falls like a rock from 60lbs to 40lbs
kicking the pump on which makes the preasure fly like a rocket back up to
60lbs kicking the pump back off. This then repeats over and over. The
manual for the pump indicates 4 things may cause this. 1 - a bad foot
valve (I don't think this is the case as the pump holds preasure when not
in use). 2 - the pump is more than 5 feet from the water tank (it is 2
feet away). 3 - there is a valve between the pump and water tank causing
resistance (there is no valve placed there) and 4 - a waterlogged water
tank.

Ok - I also have had the service panel in my house upgraded one week ago
so power was off to the whole house for about 5 hours last wednessday.
Yesterday I ran a new line to the pump so had power off to that for an
hour. I don't think that rewiring the pump could have caused this but I
throw it out there as a coincidental thing anyway.

Anyone have any ideas as to what may be happening? I'm suspecting
something with the tank but I'm open to expert opinions.

TIA

You already have the most likely cause: #4 - waterlogged tank.

Don Young