Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric Scantlebury[_2_] Eric Scantlebury[_2_] is offline

Default Goulds water pump excessive cycling

Hello All,

I have an issue with my goulds well pump recently cycling on and off in an
excessive mannor. By excessive I mean the pump will kick on and off several
times a minute while water is being used in the house.

The specifics: I have a 1/2 horse power goulds Jet water pump model J5S
installed in my basement that is pulling water from a point in my front yard
(no well). This pump feeds a Wellmate WM-6 bladder water tank. The pump is
around 4 years old and the tank is around 10.

I think the pump is working fine as when an upstream valve is turned on the
preasure gauge on the pump falls like a rock from 60lbs to 40lbs kicking the
pump on which makes the preasure fly like a rocket back up to 60lbs kicking
the pump back off. This then repeats over and over. The manual for the
pump indicates 4 things may cause this. 1 - a bad foot valve (I don't think
this is the case as the pump holds preasure when not in use). 2 - the pump
is more than 5 feet from the water tank (it is 2 feet away). 3 - there is a
valve between the pump and water tank causing resistance (there is no valve
placed there) and 4 - a waterlogged water tank.

Ok - I also have had the service panel in my house upgraded one week ago so
power was off to the whole house for about 5 hours last wednessday.
Yesterday I ran a new line to the pump so had power off to that for an hour.
I don't think that rewiring the pump could have caused this but I throw it
out there as a coincidental thing anyway.

Anyone have any ideas as to what may be happening? I'm suspecting something
with the tank but I'm open to expert opinions.

TIA