Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Removing Snow From Driveway - Best Long Term Solution?

Hi Pete,

you're not reading what I said. There are plenty of cars
capable of handling on-road snow just fine.

I'm reading you fine, but I have no interest in buying a new vehicle right
now. We're quite happy with our cars. 350+ days a year the roads are clear
and completely passable. The remaining two weeks aren't enough to make AWD
a significant factor for choosing a car. And even during a snow storm, it's
not an issue once we get down off our hill.

We're VW folks. I've been driving a 1976 Rabbit for the last 18 years, and
had a few Rabbits before that. My wife drives a 1986 Jetta, and has had a
few VW's in the past too. With a good set of all-season tires, we
generally have no problem coming or going. There's just a couple of steep
spots in our driveway that are problematic, and when the snow gets deeper
than the underside of the car it's not so easy going.

We can go anywhere we want to if we chain up, but I'd rather not chain up
just to drive 150 feet out to the road.

Anthony