Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles John Stumbles is offline

Default Gas leak limit

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 16:27:25 +0000, Roger wrote:

I am currently on the lookout for a cheap manometer but so far all I
have found are expensive digital types.

Having written the above I thought I had better do another more specific
search and while I found a number of U tube manometers some were
expensive and it was by no means clear that the cheaper ones could be
used to check for gas soundness.

You really only need a length of winemaking tube folded into a U shape
taped alongside a ruler. 1" is one inch water gauge: 30' of water is 1
bar: the rest is arithmetic.

Any pointers would be appreciated (and no I don't want to make one from
scratch).

OK then, BES do a U-tube type for about a tenner (pipe not included: they
do black rubber pipe for NG separately). It's useful to find a bit of
larger diameter pipe whick fits snugly over the non-manometer end of the
tube to fit onto meter test nipples which are too big to get the regular
diameter tube over. I've got a very nice bit which was once the boot that
went over the spark plug from an ignition lead.

While you're ordering from BES get some of their flourescent dye to put in
the water in the u-tube. Or you can use a minute dab of food colour,
though prolonged use is likely to leave a precipitate on the inside of the
tube making it harder to read.

I gather there's a website somewhere all about u-tubes. :^|

--
John Stumbles

A: Because it messes up the order in which people read text.
Q: Why is top-posting a bad thing?