Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Removing Snow From Driveway - Best Long Term Solution?

Pete C. wrote:
George wrote:
Pete C. wrote:

Get a 4WD or AWD vehicle with decent ground clearance and be done with
it. Just drive back and forth a couple times every 6" of snow fall so it
doesn't get too deep between packings. Vehicle doesn't have to be a big
truck or SUV either, most any Subaru also fits the specs and works fine.
Worst you have to do is toss a little sand on the tracks now and then.

That wouldn't work where I am located because it would create layers of
jagged ice that would have to be dealth with for months.

What's your point?

Maybe the 4wd vehicles can handle it but people need to be able to get
from the vehicles to the house and vice versa. It can be a real
challenge to do that once you have lots of icy built up ruts especially
as you get older as the OP described was part of his situation. Plus it
is nice to have some consideration for visitors including those who are
driving cars.

The vehicles mentioned handle the ice pack just fine.
Indeed, on the gravel driveway the OP indicated the ice pack will have
plenty of texture for traction. The only time it starts to get slippery
is towards spring when you get some melting that starts to level the
surface, at which point you sprinkle some sand on it. If you need to
walk the driveway, say to the mailbox, you walk in the unpacked areas to
the side of or between the tire tracks. Decades of experience in the
northeast prove this works just fine, the only thing you need to clear
is what the town plow piles at the front of the driveway.

I have lived in the northeast all of my life in many different places
and I have to say it is pretty unusual for people not to clear their
driveways as you describe.