Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
brian white brian white is offline

Default Chucks-Chucks -Chucks [ UK ]

"Duncan Hoyle" wrote in message
. uk...

On Feb 4, 7:20 am, "brian white" wrote:
As a relative noob to woodturning ( I acquired my first lathe 3 Months
ago )
I feel that I am now restricted in my creations for the lack of a chuck.
have made all kinds of Jam chucks, fixing to the headstock with turned
morse
Tapers. but its hard going !. Looking through the Polewood Cataloge
There is
a choice of the Patriot, SuperNova2, Fox FX4000, and others. Yes of
course
I would probably like the most expensive, ( Patriot @£126 ) or the
SuperNova @ £114.00 , are these chucks that much better than the Fox
FX4000
@ 68.83 ( including delivery ! ). for which, for the same amount of
cash as
a Patriot I could also get a couple of sets of Jaws

What would you "seasoned" ! woodturners recommend ? Price of course is
always an issue.

many thanks in advance, and happy turning

One thing I have learnt in my 3 months of turning - Ride the Bevel, or
Sup
with the Devil. :-)

Um No - Im down in Southampton too cold for me in Newcastle although I was
born n bred in Middlesbrough. I have joined a local woodturning club and
have posed the question, some lively debate followed, and basically it comes
down to a matter of personal preferance, the ease of obtaining and changing
jaw sets, and Durability .

Thanks for all the splended info folks - Im going to The Woodworking Show at
Alexandria Palace this coming weekend, cash in hand !!
I shall probably go for the Patriot ( unless someone else has a real
tempting "show offer" ! ) It Will, Be Mine !

Brian