Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I use a dropcord in the pool?

On Feb 4, 8:20*pm, (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:

In a plastic pool, setting on a plastic ground cover,
which is on a bricked surface that no doubt has several
feet of compacted and well drained sand or gravel below
it? *Do you know what "insulator" spells???

Now, you're making things up. It was never specified what was outside
the pool when you proclaimed the settup OK. But once again you show
your igorance. Only a fool would think that a brick surface on a
sand base around a pool is an insulator. Are you aware that plenty
of people have been electrocuted standing on damp concrete, in damp
shoes? And I suppose the pool area is gonna be bone dry? Idiot!

Do you really think that 5 or 10 feet of clean water is
a good conductor?

In can happen when someone reaches for something outside
the pool that is metal and grounded.

And a very cursory inspection of the set of photos we are
discussing demonstrated that there isn't a grounded piece of
metal within maybe 50 feet of anyone in that pool.

How the hell so you know what's sitting just outside the pool?
Anyone dumb enough to do what is shown is dumb enough to have a metal
tray table sitting outside the pool, where you can't see it in the
photo. Yet, you went ahead and proclaimed this settup as OK.

It could be the liner has a
small leak,

Do you really think that "a small leak" is a good conductor???

Or that the ground under it is?

Now you're arguing that wet earth from a pool leak isn't a good
conductor too. What do you think it takes? Only an 8 ft ground rod
will provide sufficient current path to kill you? Idiot.

The trouble you can Clark have is that neither of you
have a clue what to pay attention to. *Citing marvelous
myths that you've picked up from watching TV and movies
won't get it.

Not a myth. I showed you a NY Times article, where two 8 year old
girls were electrocuted sitting in a bathtub, when a hair dryer fell
in. That was exactly the scenario you mocked as being a myth and not
being potentially lethal. Your response: They could have prevented
that by just picking up the hair dryer and tossing it out. Idiot.

Well, unless you're gonna now argue the water spigot was
energized, there goes your whole BS argument.

Grounded.

Did you figure that out all by yourself too?

The problem is that you said "energized", wich isn't right.
I said "grounded", which is. *And you don't understand the
difference.

No, now pay attention. You claimed that perhaps the girls were
killed because they grabbed a spigot. Now, according to you, water
in these situations is a great insulator. So, how then could touching
something grounded make any difference? That's why I mocked your
foolishness by asking if you were now gonna argue that the spigot was
energized, meaning that's where the hot was that killed them, not the
hairdryer.

You're pretty hot on emotional hype, and totally lacking
when it comes to technical expertize.

I'll let others judge who knows what they are talking about. Here's
some of your gems:

"You probably think if someone is sitting in the bathtub
and drops an electric hair dry, plugged in and working,
into the water that they will be electrocuted... and
who knows how many other myths! "

So, I showed you a NY Times story of two 8 year old girls that were
electrocuted in a bathtub after a hair dryer fell in and your
response:

"Regardless, two children... who don't know enough to
just pick it up and throw it out. Or to just step out,
and probably aren't big enough to do that without
grabbing onto something... like the water spigot (which
in fact will get you electrocuted)."

Or from the start of the thread, your comments on the picture of the
pool:

"Nothing looks "staged", or phoney for that matter. "

"Not a problem. (Actually, I've set up something fairly
similar to that, and been in the water.) "

Based on the above, everyone can judge who's the idiot giving out
false and misleading information. But, based on this and some of
your other threads, I think most of us already know.