Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles John Stumbles is offline

Default Gas leak limit

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 12:33:24 +0000, Tim Downie wrote:

I was recently told when a plumber cut off a dead leg in our gas pipework
that we had a small (but allowable) leak in our system.

Clearly he wasn't wild about chasing the leak but I'd rather there wasn't
one. Before I start hunting, what's the acceptable leak level in mbar/min?

For pipework it's no observable drop, which IIRC is stated somewhere to be
less than 0.25mbar (over 2 minutes test).

If any appliance is connected then it depends on the type (and volume) of
the gas meter, but if your CORGI registered installer is testing that his
pipework is sound he should shut off appliances so that he's testing only
the pipework. If he's canny he'll have tested the installation before he
made any changes in which case if there was a slight but acceptable drop
beforehand *and no smell of gas* and the drop is no greater afterwards he
can probably put it down to appliance drop and leave it like that.

--
John Stumbles

What is a simile like?