Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Removing Snow From Driveway - Best Long Term Solution?

On Feb 4, 6:49*pm, HerHusband wrote:
pex tubing heated by a gas or propane tankless. electric will cost far
more.
remember all you need is a few degrees above freezing to melt snow and
ice.

The problem with hydronic is all the moving parts (heater, pump, etc.) and
dealing with changing the anti-freeze semi-annually.

Consider we may only get a few snow storms each year and then nothing for a
few years, electric seems like a "less hassle" option. Out of sight until
needed, no maintenance.

Still, any snow melting option has got to cost more than even the best snow
blower.

Anthony

Cost will definitely be high. Not just the installation, running it
also even with low electric rates. It takes a lot of BTU to turn a
pound of snow into water and it is not a fast project.

My condition is about the same as yours. Drive 100' by 30' wide. Most
years I only need to clear the drive a couple times and then it isn't
very deep but comes the occasional winter and there is no getting out
without clearing it. This is one such. Last snow was last Thursday,
area is still digging out.

I went with a snowblower. My old one died in this storm and I bought
(internet) a Poulan $1500 one for $900 via Amazon (still on AFAIK). It
has electric start so there shouldn't be any problem with struggling
to start it.

Harry K