Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Knob and Tube BETA-33

On Feb 4, 12:02�pm, "BETA-33" wrote:
"bud--" wrote in message

.. .

wrote:

If measured right, some 3-ways were connected as your measurements
indicate. Either 1 or 2 is the neutral, the other is the hot (the blue
wires on Terry's diagram). The odd color on the switch goes to 3 and 4. In
operation each side of the light is switched between hot and neutral. When
both sides of the light were neutral, or both hot, the light is off. It is
not code compliant to wire a new light this way now, but 3-ways sometimes
were wired this way long ago. [Anyone know if it was ever code compliant?]

Probably harder to troubleshoot because the open connection may be further
away - it affects the hot feed to both 3-ways.

Thanks. �I'm going to a little more tomorrow to see what I can figure out.
At this point, it's just a game -- a puzzle that I want to see if I can
figure out.

In the end, I do plan on rewiring the entire house -- either with me doing
some (cutting holes and pulling wires) and an electrician doing all of the
rest, or with an electrician doing the whole thing.

But, for now, I'm having a good time trying to see if I can find where the
disconnect is in the hallway light setup.

I suspect the problem is a switch rather than a wiring connection
failure. but with the connections soldered, buried in the walls it
will be hard to find and may be a sign of a lareger problem..........

if a soldered connection failed perhaps more will, and the next one
may overheat and cause a fire........

to the naysayersa of replace the K&T I gather you dont believe in
maintaing your home.

come time to sell and it may be impossible for the buyer to get
homeowners insurance and thus no mortage, effectively killing the sale.