Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Inverter for Gateway laptop

"Jakthehammer" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Bob Shuman" wrote in message
Arfa,

I originally read it the same way, but now that the above reply on DC to
AC automotive type inverter was posted, I conclude that the OP was not
at
all clear. The fact that the manufacturer was mentioned by name
(Gateway)
would seem to point to this being a LCD backlight, but since the
specific
model number was not provided, limits the usefulness of any response.

Bob

Hi Bob. Yeah, I grant you it's not very specifically clear, but I still
reckon that it was a backlight inverter by implication. As I read it, it
was
basically exactly what I would have said without stopping to think that
there was another possibility for the word "inverter". I think it's just
case of 'engineer to engineer speak'. Perhaps the OP should clarify ?

Arfa

It was weird to me as well but I thought perhaps the OP wants to run his
charger on a long trip or something.

Jack.

Could be, Jack. But if that was the case, then I don't think I would
recommend that route in the first place, unless you were really REALLY sure
just what sort of the pedigree of the inverter you were buying. Some of
these switchers that they use as the power unit / chargers for laptops and
TVs, just don't like 'modified sine wave' up 'em. Shop I do work for had
just such a case recently. Guy brought in the (external) power unit from his
small LCD TV. He'd tried running it from the inverter in his RV, and it had
lasted all of 15 minutes, before going up in a spectacular cloud of smoke

Arfa