Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_2_] mac davis[_2_] is offline

Default Chucks-Chucks -Chucks [ UK ]

On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 12:20:09 GMT, "brian white"
wrote:

As a relative noob to woodturning ( I acquired my first lathe 3 Months ago )
I feel that I am now restricted in my creations for the lack of a chuck. I
have made all kinds of Jam chucks, fixing to the headstock with turned morse
Tapers. but its hard going !. Looking through the Polewood Cataloge There is
a choice of the Patriot, SuperNova2, Fox FX4000, and others. Yes of course
I would probably like the most expensive, ( Patriot @£126 ) or the
SuperNova @ £114.00 , are these chucks that much better than the Fox FX4000
@ 68.83 ( including delivery ! ). for which, for the same amount of cash as
a Patriot I could also get a couple of sets of Jaws

What would you "seasoned" ! woodturners recommend ? Price of course is
always an issue.

many thanks in advance, and happy turning

One thing I have learnt in my 3 months of turning - Ride the Bevel, or Sup
with the Devil. :-)

Sort of like asking what brand of truck is best.. ;-]

My personal choice is Oneway.. For most lathes, the Talon, for larger projects,
the Stronghold..

I've had a Talon for about 5 years and like it so much that I'd buy it again..
As a matter of fact, I DID buy it again, 2 years later when I wanted a 2nd
chuck..
I've done a few hundred pieces with it and it's still working great..
It's pricey, but good things usually are..

I'd also look at the Super Nova.. no personal experience, just gleaned from
comments here..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing