Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Fred Holder Fred Holder is offline

Default Chucks-Chucks -Chucks [ UK ]

On Feb 4, 4:20 am, "brian white" wrote:
As a relative noob to woodturning ( I acquired my first lathe 3 Months ago )
I feel that I am now restricted in my creations for the lack of a chuck. I
have made all kinds of Jam chucks, fixing to the headstock with turned morse
Tapers. but its hard going !. Looking through the Polewood Cataloge There is
a choice of the Patriot, SuperNova2, Fox FX4000, and others. Yes of course
I would probably like the most expensive, ( Patriot @£126 ) or the
SuperNova @ £114.00 , are these chucks that much better than the Fox FX4000
@ 68.83 ( including delivery ! ). for which, for the same amount of cash as
a Patriot I could also get a couple of sets of Jaws

What would you "seasoned" ! woodturners recommend ? Price of course is
always an issue.

many thanks in advance, and happy turning

One thing I have learnt in my 3 months of turning - Ride the Bevel, or Sup
with the Devil. :-)

Hello Brian,

I own a dozen or more chucks, most of them Teknatool, and one Vicmarc.
I believe the Partiot is made by Robert Sorby and is likely a very
good chuck because Robert Sorby produces quality tools. I purchased
two SuperNova2 chucks when they first came out, one for myself and one
for my wife, they are excellent chucks and well worth the money. No
chuck on the market except the Nova Chucks have the greatest
interchange of jaws from one chuck to the next. Even the Titan Chuck
from Teknatool uses all of the jaws manufactured for all of their
other chucks. I suspect that the Fox FX4000 is a Chinese made rip-off
of someone elses chuck and likely not worth what they are selling for.
As someone else mentioned the Vicmarc chucks are hard to beat when it
comes to quality.

Just remember, you get what you pay for, and this is especially true
when it comes to turning tools and woodturning chucks.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com