Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default 48 volt car elect not going to happen

On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 06:35:10 -0700, Lew Hartswick
wrote:

Carl Byrns wrote:
You need to catch up- the 48 volt system would drive ALL the accessories
(wipers, blower motor, ect) and not just the hybrid drive. The reasoning is
that higher voltage would mean smaller, lighter motors and lighter gauge
copper wiring.

-Carl

Lighter gage wire yes but less iron NO. For a constant amount
of power (HP) you will need same size iron core FOR DC.

I don't think so, Lew. I think the same copper, current, iron, flux
density etc will deliver 4X the power at 4X the voltage because it
will provide same torque at 4X the speed -- if it can mechanically
handle the speed. Speed requires precision = cost.

I agree with you that motors probably wouldn't shrink, because the
loads dictate the torque and speed requirements. These could be met
with smaller faster motors and more gear reduction -- or similar
motors just wound with finer wire to operate at higher voltage and
lower current to perform the same as before. The faster motor with
more gears gears would weigh less, but cost considerably more.

If you go to AC sure as in 400 cps .

DC motors are really AC motors already. That's what the brushes and
commutator do, or elex in the case of brushless DC motors. DC is
applied, but the armature windings see AC as the motor spins.