Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
John John is offline

Default Chucks-Chucks -Chucks [ UK ]

In message , brian white
writes
As a relative noob to woodturning ( I acquired my first lathe 3 Months ago )
I feel that I am now restricted in my creations for the lack of a chuck. I
have made all kinds of Jam chucks, fixing to the headstock with turned morse
Tapers. but its hard going !. Looking through the Polewood Cataloge There is
a choice of the Patriot, SuperNova2, Fox FX4000, and others. Yes of course
I would probably like the most expensive, ( Patriot @£126 ) or the
SuperNova @ £114.00 , are these chucks that much better than the Fox FX4000
@ 68.83 ( including delivery ! ). for which, for the same amount of cash as
a Patriot I could also get a couple of sets of Jaws

What would you "seasoned" ! woodturners recommend ? Price of course is
always an issue.

I'm not seasoned, only been playing a little longer than yourself

I would also recommend looking at the Axminster chucks.
Specifically this package
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-A...uck-Package-36
3274.htm

I would have got it instead of their K10 if I had known more at the time

One thing to consider is that it takes time to change jaws, unscrewing,
alignment etc. So you may want to consider the price of jaw carriers in
the overall equation, as its wind them out and wind in the new ones with
the alternate jaws pre fitted and aligned. ( that's what I did)

In some ways I am lucky 4 miles that way and I have Axminster, 4 miles
the other I have Poolewood

Two very bad reasons to spend money !
--
John