Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Joel Koltner[_2_] Joel Koltner[_2_] is offline

Default Slightly misbehaving switcher (from SED discussion)

Hi John,

For some odd reason my Usenet provider (Forte) apparently reset the list
indices so nothing "new" showed up until I went and removed and re-added the
news server. In the interim (Friday, really) I did some more testing but
hadn't been able to respond here until now.

"John Popelish" wrote in message
. ..
The trace necks down very thin at U1, pin 6. Why?

An oversight on my part; fixed.

Must there be clear space under the chip?

In the version of the board you're looking at, yes - there are two alignment
holes for the connector on the back. I've since ordered a different
connector without alignment holes, so I can broaden those traces as you
suggest.

Opposite comment for U1 pin 5 to L1. This node should have the absolute
lowest capacitance to everything, so the pad sizes should be just what is
needed for soldering and the trance width just what the current needs.

Thanks, I'll change that.

I would try to add a small ceramic chip cap to ground between L1 and
everything else connected to the Vout node, with the smallest loop area
back to the ground side of C4 and U1 pin 4.

I tried this and it didn't have any noticeable effect.

I appreciate the help; thanks for your input, John.

---Joel