Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default fascia board for gutter system

On Feb 3, 12:10*pm, Chris wrote:
I have a big two car garage detatched from the house. the roof does
not have a gutter system, and I want to put a simple gutter system
up.

The eaves have the support joists exposed, and run to the drip edge of
the roof.

I had a gutter company come out just to see how much they would charge
to do the job, and they quoted me $1,200.. and, they said that it is a
simple job I could do myself. Which, I knew ahead of time. But, also
to get some information on doing the job properly myself.. on the
sly..

The guy said that a fascia board would need to put up to cover up the
joist..

Now, what would the proper thickness be for this? How thick should the
wood be, so when I put the gutter up, it is not sticking too far out
from the drip edge..

The fascia should be a nominal 1 x 6. You may have to trim back the
end of the roof joist to make sure the drip edge isn't compromised.
That should be pretty easily done with a SawzAll. Prime the board
front and back and use galvanized nails. HTH

Joe