Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco spaco is offline

Default Clausing 13x40 clone will not run backwards

Can't you contact the importer for help? Do you have, or can you get a
schematic wiring diagram? Doesn't sound like rocket science to
troubleshoot it if you have the schematic. But, this sort of problem
seldom gpes away on its own. So I would not trust the machine until the
situation is resolved. You could also start an unwanted "smoke test"
of the wiring, instead of having a single problem to solve.
Might be a good time to hire and "electric motor guy". Most
electrical contractors can put you on to the type of technician you
need. ----But, I'd sure try to get a wiring diagram first.

Pete Stanaitis
-----------------

Fred wrote:

My Clausing 12x37 clone will not run backwards

Today, my Clausing 12x37 clone metal lathe has stopped turning off with
the lever switch on the apron. I can switch from forward to neutral to
reverse and hear relays at the front lever switch work each time but it
keeps running forward. If I want to stop it I have to hit the emergency
button. This is at least aggravating. But, I can get stuff done as
long as I don't need it to run backwards.

My problem right now is I'm all set up to run backwards for a threading
operation that I don't feel comfortable running forward. The lathe will
only go forward and starts right up with the apron lever in the neutral
position when the start button is pressed. It still will not start in
the forward and reverse apron lever position, as it's not supposed to.
But if it's in the apron neutral position it will start running forward
when the start button is pushed. Cutting power to the lathe does not
effect this behavior when reconnected.

There are several multi wire relays in the panel box on the back and I
suspect one of them is the problem, or the switch in the front
controlled by the apron lever. The motor is 220 single phase.

It has happened before and not really been a problem. The next time I
used it it would act normally for a while. And, maybe I can let the
thing cool down and get these threads cut later tonight or tomorrow.
But, I need to eventually fix the problem.

I do not know how to diagnose how to fix this. Any suggestions on what
I should do?

Thanks,

Fred