Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Clausing 12x37 clone will not run backwards

On 2008-02-03, Fred warydragon--at--gmail.com wrote:
Bob AZ wrote:
On Feb 2, 4:36?pm, Fred warydragon--at--gmail.com wrote:
Clausing 12x37 clone will not run backwards

There are several multi wire relays in the panel box on the back and I suspect one of them is the problem, or the switch
in the front controlled by the apron lever. ?Its a pretty complicated bunch of wiring.

Please help, I do not know how to diagnose this?

Fred

WHATEVER YOU DO REMOVE THE POWER BEFORE DOING ANYTHING

Single Phase or Three Phase?

It's an early 1990's model. It's single phase 110 volts now. Supposedly it can be converted to 220. I would love to
convert it. I could figure out how to convert the motor but not the wiring in the panel. I think there are two wires
to change in the panel when converting to 200. It wasn't clear how to change them so I didn't.

Do you have a manual for it?

For that matter, hopefully the manual will have the wiring
diagram for the relays, which would be a big help in the diagnostics.

And -- could you *please* set your line length to something like
72 characters? I had to stretch the window out to full screen width
(122 characters) to be able to read your lines of text without having to
scroll from side to side. My previous newsreader would simply fold the
lines whenever they reached the current window width, breaking words in
the middle, but this one makes me have to use the arrow keys to scroll
back and forth -- once for each line. :-(

[ ... ]

AFTER REMOVING POWER check the relays to determine whether the
armature, the thing that moves along with the contacts, actually moves
and the contacts associated with the armature move with them.

My best guess. There is a relay associated with reversing that is
stuck in the operating or energized position.

This is probably one in the panel

However, if the lever is set up with cams to actuate
microswitches in the pedestal under the headstock, it might be that
chips have managed to leak in over time and build up enough to stick one
of the microswitches cam levers in the on position, so cleaning out
chips around the cams might make the difference. So -- it may not even
be inside the microswitches (which are normally rather well sealed,
anyway -- though a short could build up at the terminals on the backs of
the switches. But my first bet is something keeping one of the cam
rollers from finding a detent in the cam on the rod from the carriage.

What Zip Code is the lathe at?

28205 Concord, North Carolina

Hmm ... closer to me (near Washington DC) but still a bit far
for just popping in to look.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564