Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Fred Fred is offline

Default Clausing 12x37 clone will not run backwards

Bob AZ wrote:
On Feb 2, 4:36�pm, Fred warydragon--at--gmail.com wrote:
Clausing 12x37 clone will not run backwards

There are several multi wire relays in the panel box on the back and I suspect one of them is the problem, or the switch
in the front controlled by the apron lever. �Its a pretty complicated bunch of wiring.

Please help, I do not know how to diagnose this?

Fred

WHATEVER YOU DO REMOVE THE POWER BEFORE DOING ANYTHING

Single Phase or Three Phase?

It's an early 1990's model. It's single phase 110 volts now. Supposedly it can be converted to 220. I would love to
convert it. I could figure out how to convert the motor but not the wiring in the panel. I think there are two wires
to change in the panel when converting to 200. It wasn't clear how to change them so I didn't.

Whatever electrical component shifts the wiring to reverse seems to be
stuck in the forward position.

I'm not sure how to tell which relay does what. There are 3 or 4 relays in the panel box. I'll investigate in the
morning. There's not much room behind the machine. ....another example of "failure to plan ahead".
Perhaps the reversing switch handle has
become free of the electrical contacts inside the reversing switch. OR
since you mention there being relays in a box along with the
"complicated wiring" there is a one or more relays perhaps stuck in
the operating position.

AFTER REMOVING POWER check the relays to determine whether the
armature, the thing that moves along with the contacts, actually moves
and the contacts associated with the armature move with them.

My best guess. There is a relay associated with reversing that is
stuck in the operating or energized position.

This is probably one in the panel

What Zip Code is the lathe at?

28205 Concord, North Carolina

Bob AZ

Thanks, I'll look closer inside the panel tomorrow, after I cut off the breaker.

Fred