Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Testing FatMax TLM 100 laser measure

"Gary Owens" wrote in message
I bought one for my son for XMAS, he installs phone and computer cabling.
He loves the laser, he wanted a Hilti, but after I priced it, he got the
Stanley. He says he can measure out to 200 feet in dark spaces above false
ceilings and even in lit areas it will measure over 150 ft.
gary
Deltona, FL

Holy cow, I didn't realize it would read at all over 100 ft. Not that it's
something I would need, but I thought the thing had a built-in limit of 100
ft.

It certainly is a time- and grief-saver. When the weather is decent I'm
outside with mine, finally getting the vertical dimensions on my house so I
can finish drawing it in CAD.

--
Ed Huntress

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
I got one of those Stanley FatMax TLM 100 laser measures for Christmas,
and I've started to calibrate it. So far I've tested it at 3 ft., 6 ft.,
and 10 ft. It's consistently reading within +/- 1/16 in. versus my 30 ft.
Stanley Leverlock steel tape.

Has anyone else tested one? I'm very interested to see what results
others are getting. As soon as I get a chance I'm going to check it at
100 ft. on the floor of a basketball court, to avoid big cosine errors
with the tape. I have three Stanley 100 ft. tapes of different vintages,
and I'm interested, also, to see how they read against each other.

So far this TLM 100 has been very useful and easy to use. I'm startled to
see how accurate it is. Stanley only guarantees it to +/- 1/4 in. My gut
feeling is that it's the same basic innards as the more expensive
versions (mine was $99), but that Stanley either de-rates this one to
encourage sales of the more expensive models, or else they don't test the
cheap version and leave the extra margin for manufacturing variations. If
so, I got lucky.

--
Ed Huntress