Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry Terry is offline

Default Knob and Tube BETA-33

Yeah I think a whole new circuit sounds best too.

To run a new circuit, you may still have to remove the same boards you
are removing now, though.

You might get lucky and find an easy fix. How have you been living?

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 19:15:45 -0500, "BETA-33" wrote:

Thanks Terry for starting this thread.

I'll have to check the various suggestions out a little more on Tuesday.
Between now
and then I won't be home while it's daylight outside, and I want to be able
to see everything with and without the power on, and without having to use a
flashlight.

I went into the attic this morning, and part of the floor is already up from
when I was working on it before. But I have to take one more board up to
access directly above the light fixture, and I didn't have time to do that
today.

I have a hunch that I'm going to end up doing as some have suggested --
start over and run a whole new circuit. But, since it's a puzzle right now,
I want to get better access to the light fixture from the attic above, and
try to see if I can find a solution to the puzzle.

"Terry" wrote in message
.. .
Anyone care to help BETA-33 get his hallway light working.

Here is what he says he has with no power on anything.

(Knob & Tube)
Light with 2 wires
S1 3-way with 3 wires
S2 3-way with 3 wires

I know nothing about knob and tube. I am assuming that at one time it
worked with what he has. (knowing this may not be true)

So..........
The light would have to contain the neutral (coming from anywhere) and
a wire coming from S2

S2 will have the wire going to the light and 2 wires coming from S1

S1 will have 2 wires going to S2 and a dead wire that should be coming
from a source (coming from anywhere)

Does this sound right?

I would think he could look in the attic and be able to see the wire
going from the light to S2

So he should also be able to see the two wires going from S1 to S2.

That leaves the third wire coming from S1. That wire should be the
one going to a power source.

http://i29.tinypic.com/draz9h.jpg

This sketch is a common arrangement. Maybe you will have something
similar and can tell where the red wire is going.