Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Fred Fred is offline

Default Clausing 12x37 clone will not run backwards

Clausing 12x37 clone will not run backwards

Today, my 1994 Clausing 12x37 clone metal lathe has stopped turning off with the lever switch on the apron. I can
switch from forward to neutral to reverse and hear relays at the front lever switch work each time, but it keeps running
forward. If I want to stop it I have to hit the emergency button. This is at least aggravating. But, I can get stuff
done as long as I don't need it to run backwards.

My problem right now is I'm all set up to run backwards for a threading operation that I'm uncomfortable running
forward. The lathe will only go forward and starts right up with the apron lever in the neutral position when the start
button is pressed. It still will not start in the forward and reverse apron lever position, as it's not supposed to.
But if it's in the apron neutral position it will start running forward when the start button is pushed. Cycling the
power off and back on does not effect this behavior.

It has happened before and not really been a problem. And, maybe I can let the thing cool down and get these threads
cut later tonight or tomorrow. But, I need to eventually fix the problem.

There are several multi wire relays in the panel box on the back and I suspect one of them is the problem, or the switch
in the front controlled by the apron lever. Its a pretty complicated bunch of wiring.

Please help, I do not know how to diagnose this?

Thanks,

Fred