Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Testing FatMax TLM 100 laser measure

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 14:31:45 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

I got one of those Stanley FatMax TLM 100 laser measures for Christmas, and

Just out of curiosity, what would prompt a person to give an _editor_
a construction measurement tool, Ed? Been moonlightin', have ya?

I've started to calibrate it. So far I've tested it at 3 ft., 6 ft., and 10
ft. It's consistently reading within +/- 1/16 in. versus my 30 ft. Stanley
Leverlock steel tape.

That's excellent. You'll find that hard to do within any given
assortment of steel tapes. One thing I learned early on in my
woodworking hobby (now career) was to always use the same tape on any
given project, especially things like built-ins and cabinetry. A 1/8"
variation between tapes is quite common.

So far this TLM 100 has been very useful and easy to use. I'm startled to
see how accurate it is. Stanley only guarantees it to +/- 1/4 in. My gut
feeling is that it's the same basic innards as the more expensive versions
(mine was $99), but that Stanley either de-rates this one to encourage sales
of the more expensive models, or else they don't test the cheap version and
leave the extra margin for manufacturing variations. If so, I got lucky.

I haven't yet played with laser measuring units, only laser levels.

---
The world is wide, and I will not waste my life in friction
when it could be turned into momentum.
--Frances Willard (1839 - 1898)