Posted to alt.home.repair
coustanis coustanis is offline

Default Noisy heating pipes from friction

The copper pipes in my basement that supply the hot water to the
radiators are noisy.
When the circulation pump fires up and the water in the pipes heat up,
the pipes expand.
This causes them to creep over the wood 1x2s that supports them. They
only move a small amount
but the friction gives them a rough ride. It sort of moves, catches,
breaks free, moves, catches, etc.
This is on a pretty small scale but it's enough to reverberate through
the wood in a suprisingly loud
and completely annoying popping and creaking sound.
Is there a sheet material or type of grease I can put between the
pipes and the wood to stop this?
The material has to be safe for both copper and CPVC.

Thanks in advance.