Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Noisy heating pipes from friction

The copper pipes in my basement that supply the hot water to the
radiators are noisy.
When the circulation pump fires up and the water in the pipes heat up,
the pipes expand.
This causes them to creep over the wood 1x2s that supports them. They
only move a small amount
but the friction gives them a rough ride. It sort of moves, catches,
breaks free, moves, catches, etc.
This is on a pretty small scale but it's enough to reverberate through
the wood in a suprisingly loud
and completely annoying popping and creaking sound.
Is there a sheet material or type of grease I can put between the
pipes and the wood to stop this?
The material has to be safe for both copper and CPVC.

Thanks in advance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

coustanis wrote:
The copper pipes in my basement that supply the hot water to the
radiators are noisy.
When the circulation pump fires up and the water in the pipes heat up,
the pipes expand.
This causes them to creep over the wood 1x2s that supports them. They
only move a small amount
but the friction gives them a rough ride. It sort of moves, catches,
breaks free, moves, catches, etc.
This is on a pretty small scale but it's enough to reverberate through
the wood in a suprisingly loud
and completely annoying popping and creaking sound.
Is there a sheet material or type of grease I can put between the
pipes and the wood to stop this?
The material has to be safe for both copper and CPVC.

Thanks in advance.

There are white plastic low-friction sleeves (probably nylon or a close
equivalent) which can be inserted to line the holes in wall studs to
prevent heating pipes from creaking and groaning. Both homes I had in
Alaska had this problem but in neither case was I aggravated quite
enough to spend the time/money tearing into walls to eliminate it. In
time I learned to ignore it. In your case, if the only problem points
are readily accessible you should be able to fix it for a few dollars in
ten minutes. A good plumbing supplier should be able to come up with
the liners.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Noisy pipes [email protected] Home Repair 2 September 3rd 07 02:36 PM
Noisy Pipes on well [email protected] Home Repair 0 June 17th 07 11:48 PM
Noisy Pipes Ted Home Repair 6 December 20th 05 02:06 AM
Noisy pipes JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMilk Home Repair 2 February 3rd 05 01:06 AM
Noisy pipes toller Home Repair 1 January 11th 05 10:24 PM