Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Light switches in "L"-shaped hallway

There are 2 ways a 3-way might be connected with K&T. In both, 2 wires
go between the 3-way switches. And at one end the 3rd wire goes to the
light socket connection to the end of the light bulbs.

==================
In one way of wiring, the 3rd wire at the other switch goes to the other
(screwshell) terminal at the light sockets. This is not a good way to
wire a light.

==================
The other (more likely and preferred) way of wiring a 3-way, the other
wire at the 2nd switch does not connect to the light socket. **This will
be the hot feed to trace.

(With both wiring methods the 2 wires between the switches connect to
the same-colored terminals on the 3-way switches.)

======================
Don't know if you noticed - Terry started a 2nd thread on this 2-1.

--
bud--

BETA-33 wrote:
Thanks. A long time ago, I did use a continuity checker and tagged each of
the 3 wires for each 3-way switch and the two wires for the light fixture.
I have them numbered so that #1 on one end is directly connected to #1 on
the other end, etc. Of course, after I did that, I had no idea what to do
with the information.

And, no, there are no 4-way switches -- just two 3-way switches.

I remembered long ago there were 3 switches and didn't want to go back
through the thread to check. So there should be 2 switches.

"bud--" wrote in message
.. .
Attic and basement are real good ideas. Your new toy should be a big help.

If you get stuck, another method of attack is check continuity between
possible ends of wires to see what the actual wiring is. Include the light
sockets. (I would also verify the socket screwshell connects to the
neutral.) When measuring continuity you have to watch there is not voltage
between the wires. If you don't have a good understanding of 3-way and
4-way switches (one of the switches was 4-way?) this method may not help.
If you work out what the wiring is you can determine which wire should be
the hot feed and trace it. K&T wiring problems can be a PITA.

--
bud--

BETA-33 wrote:
I will be heading for the attic in a day or two, especially now that I
have the tester.

Both 3-ways have only 3 wires and it doesn't look like any wiring was
removed from either one. It all looks like the dusty old original
wiring, and the switches I took out and replaced look like they were the
original switches -- ancient.

"Terry" wrote in message
That sounds right. If you can see the wiring from the attic or
basement would be the next place to go for clues.

Trying to re feed the switch from another circuit sounds like the only
way to continue.

Do each 3-ways have only 3 wires? Does it look like wiring has been
removed from any of the boxes?