Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca clare at snyder.on.ca is offline

Default Another Car Battery question

On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 23:25:38 -0800, Gunner
wrote:

On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 00:57:05 GMT, Bill Janssen wrote:

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Okay, so the switch from 6 volts to 12 volts (automobiles) was made to save
copper and other benefits that I don't remember.

Why, for the same reasons, are we not switching to 24 volts? I understand
that a few military vehicles and commercial trucks are 24 volts. Why not
our automobiles?

Anybody know?

Thanks,
Ivan Vegvary

Autos are going to use 34 volts in a couple of years. They are being
designed now.

Bill K7NOM

I read it was going to be 48 volts

Gunner

Nope. 48 volts has not been in the running except in electric drive
apps where even 96 and above have been used.. The scuttlebutt for the
last several years has been 36/42