Posted to alt.home.repair
Floyd L. Davidson Floyd L. Davidson is offline

Default Can I use a dropcord in the pool?

Mike Dobony wrote:
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
wrote:
And your baseless claim somehow makes it not staged? Of course it doesn't.
It was quite obviously staged for some pictures to put on the internet.
Next up is idiots like you claiming it's ok to do it.
Well, I did *not* say it was "ok to do it". I certainly
would not recommend that *you* try it! :-)
Excuse me but, yes you did say it was OK when you posted this:

"Not a problem. (Actually, I've set up something fairly
similar to that, and been in the water.)

There is no circuit path through the water, or through any person
in the water (unless you're dumb enough to go up there and grab onto
a wet wire). "

Nothing there says anything about it being "ok to do
it" for dummies.

As Clark has pointed out to you, there are many possible paths for
current flow that could kill someone if they do this.

He hasn't pointed out one yet. He *has* demonstrated
that he doesn't understand circuits though.

People
typically get in a pool like this one leg at a time. That gives you
one foot on earth, one in the pool. Or someone standing outside the
pool could hand a person in the pool another beer can, completing a
path. Or someone in the pool could reach out and touch some metal
outside the pool that is earthed.

You finally hit one that probably would be dangerous.
Grabbing onto a grounded metal object would not be a
smart thing to do.

All of the above would give a dangerous situation if the cord was
actually plugged in and in contact with the water.

I'm sure you think so, but it just isn't true.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)