Posted to alt.home.repair
chrisc chrisc is offline

Default Different answers form different contractors including Home Depot!! Moisture/insulation problem

Had 2 of these "energy audits" done. They pretty much wanted to sell me
insulation and new windows for thousands of $.

"Pat" wrote in message
On Jan 29, 9:09 pm, "chrisc" wrote:
Please someone help!!!! My main problem is in my kitchen along the entire
ceiling where it meets the wall there is moisture when it is very cold out
only. It gets to where there are droplets on the ceiling. I also saw this
in
2 other rooms , but very little spots. My second problem is my windows
have
A LOT!! of water condensation on them to the point where it leaves water
on
the sills and mold forms.I assume the 2 problems are related. I have a
humidity gauge that usually reads in the lower 50's. The lowest I've seen
it
get is 48. And no I don't do anything out of the normal to be causing it .
Yes, I have a bathroom vent, no kitchen vent and two big dogs. But, I am
barely home and barely cook.

I had a few people come out and take a look. Home Depot looked up in my
crawl space and said I didn't need insulation (Have about 16-18") and that
it was a ventilation problem. I have plenty of soffit vents.They did all
these calculations and said that I had too much ridge vent and I should
try
closing two of the 3 off. So, I plugged some tarps into the 2 to see what
would happen. You guessed it, nothing!. Another guy said he doesn't like
the
baffles. They are garbage and he would install pink (panther?) baffles and
reblow the insulation to R38. He also said that where the moisture problem
is along the ceiling the previous person must have pulled the insulation
back to install the baffles and never hand rolled the inulation in which
he
would do. He also said he would guarantee his work on paper. This made
sense
for the kitchen ceiling problem, right?. A couple other guys just wanted
add more insulation.

I wanted to check the problem out for myself to see if there was no
insulation where the problems spots are. But, my house is a ranch and the
roof is very low in the crawl space so how the hell do you get that close
the wall where the roof meets to check? Also, I don't want to compress the
insulation thats already up there cause it was done last year.

The windows are new gas filled. But, I held a kleenex along them on a very
windy day and there are drafts. Could this be causing the moisture (bad
windows)?.

I will be more than happy to take any suggestions or answer any questions
help me out. Thanks a lot.

Almost all localities (or at least counties) have a "weatherization"
program funded by the government. Usually they are through an anti-
poverty agency. In New York they are typically called "Community
Action" agencies and in Pennsylvania they are called "Economic
Opportunity" agencies. Call them and have them to an "energy audit".
They will check it out, put a fan on the door and check for air
infiltration, etc. etc.