Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Different answers form different contractors including Home Depot!! Moisture/insulation problem

Please someone help!!!! My main problem is in my kitchen along the entire
ceiling where it meets the wall there is moisture when it is very cold out
only. It gets to where there are droplets on the ceiling. I also saw this in
2 other rooms , but very little spots. My second problem is my windows have
A LOT!! of water condensation on them to the point where it leaves water on
the sills and mold forms.I assume the 2 problems are related. I have a
humidity gauge that usually reads in the lower 50's. The lowest I've seen it
get is 48. And no I don't do anything out of the normal to be causing it .
Yes, I have a bathroom vent, no kitchen vent and two big dogs. But, I am
barely home and barely cook.

I had a few people come out and take a look. Home Depot looked up in my
crawl space and said I didn't need insulation (Have about 16-18") and that
it was a ventilation problem. I have plenty of soffit vents.They did all
these calculations and said that I had too much ridge vent and I should try
closing two of the 3 off. So, I plugged some tarps into the 2 to see what
would happen. You guessed it, nothing!. Another guy said he doesn't like the
baffles. They are garbage and he would install pink (panther?) baffles and
reblow the insulation to R38. He also said that where the moisture problem
is along the ceiling the previous person must have pulled the insulation
back to install the baffles and never hand rolled the inulation in which he
would do. He also said he would guarantee his work on paper. This made sense
for the kitchen ceiling problem, right?. A couple other guys just wanted to
add more insulation.

I wanted to check the problem out for myself to see if there was no
insulation where the problems spots are. But, my house is a ranch and the
roof is very low in the crawl space so how the hell do you get that close to
the wall where the roof meets to check? Also, I don't want to compress the
insulation thats already up there cause it was done last year.

The windows are new gas filled. But, I held a kleenex along them on a very
windy day and there are drafts. Could this be causing the moisture (bad
windows)?.

I will be more than happy to take any suggestions or answer any questions to
help me out. Thanks a lot.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Jan 29, 9:09*pm, "chrisc" wrote:
[...]

Almost all localities (or at least counties) have a "weatherization"
program funded by the government. Usually they are through an anti-
poverty agency. In New York they are typically called "Community
Action" agencies and in Pennsylvania they are called "Economic
Opportunity" agencies. Call them and have them to an "energy audit".
They will check it out, put a fan on the door and check for air
infiltration, etc. etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 29, 8:09 pm, "chrisc" wrote:
[...]

The corner where the roof rafters meet the ceiling joists can be very
hard to insulate, and it is plausible that someone screwed it up. I
find that more plausible than too many ridge vents. Too much venting
is a new one on me. Diagnosing what is wrong is not easy. You either
go up in the attic and somehow get over there and have a look see, or
you find someone with a infrared camera to tell you if insulation is
missing. Personally, the guy who said he was going to add new rafter
chutes sounded the best to me.

The fact that you have condensation on your windows suggests that you
have a lot of moisture around. Do you have a damp basement or
crawlspace? It could be cheap windows too. What brand/type are they?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 29, 9:09*pm, "chrisc" wrote:

The windows are new gas filled. But, I held a kleenex along them on a very
windy day and there are drafts. Could this be causing the moisture (bad
windows)?.

This one's easy. When they replaced your windows, they didn't use
spray foam in the gaps between the window and the rough frame. (those
gaps where shims are inserted) Removing the trim around the window
and spraying the foam in those gaps will take care of that
condensation. Of course put the trim back.

Chances are that the bottom of your attic insulation is soaked and
you'll need to remove and replace it. Dry wall ceiling probably is
too.
I've never heard of too much ridge ventilation. The whole point of
soffit and ridge ventilation is to suck air from the soffit up to the
ridge vent to keep air moving so moisture won't build up.
I would recommend a reliable insulation contractor to look into the
attic crawl space.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 21:09:15 -0500, "chrisc"
wrote:

I wanted to check the problem out for myself to see if there was no
insulation where the problems spots are. But, my house is a ranch and the
roof is very low in the crawl space so how the hell do you get that close to
the wall where the roof meets to check? Also, I don't want to compress the
insulation thats already up there cause it was done last year.

How about a pole and a mirror?

Posted to alt.home.repair

be careful with spray foam ,it can swell and cause your widows to"bind up"
a better choice is foam backer rod and fiber glass insulation
they do make a minimal swell foam ,which can also work out well,if used
sparingly
many of my customers,here in Maine have used great stuff and now cannot open
there window due to the expansion of that foam
"spammer" wrote in message
On Jan 29, 9:09 pm, "chrisc" wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 29, 8:09*pm, "chrisc" wrote:
[...]

Is there a humidifier on your furnace, if so turn it off, you should
not be at 50% humidity till near 60f. Lower your humidity first.
Posted to alt.home.repair

chrisc wrote:
[...]

First principles: The ceiling is cold enough for ambient humidity to
condense. These, then, are the two things required: Cold & moisture. If you
fix one of the twowell enough, condensation will disappear.

The easiest fix is to run a dehumidifier full blast. This may not be the
best fix, but it's the easiest.

My bet is on insufficient attic insulation. Is there a ceiling light fixture
that can be removed to gain inspection access? Can you buy one of those
itty-bitty pc-cams and duct-tape it to a pole? Can you tape a thermometer to
the ceiling or get an infared thermometer?

Once you've determined that the insulation is, in fact, subnominal, you can
then decide what to do next:
1. Get the original contractor back and have him fix it,
2. Find somebody, somewhere, who can get the insulation in place,
3. Remove the ceiling and insulate from below.

Then, too, there may be other actions at play: Are you boiling a lot of
lizards?

The vapor from the cooking pot has to go somewhere. The humidity may be 50%
in a closet, but 90% in the kitchen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 30, 7:36*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
chrisc wrote:
[...]

in a closet, but 90% in the kitchen.- Hide quoted text -

It sounds like the insulation is missing in the attic (not crawl
space), in the area where the kitchen ceiling meets the outside
wall. That makes the ceiling cold in that spot and condensation
occurs.

For the windows, I agree with the post suggesting that the window
install is suspect and it's likely they didn't insulate properly
around the sides.

It's definitely nothing to do with too much ridge venting.

I'd also verify your humidity reading with another instrument. The
typical home ones I've seen have all been inaccurate. Have you
verified that the bath fans are all vented properly to the outside?
That you don't have a furnace humidifier turned on? Or a wet crawl
space under the house, etc?

Posted to alt.home.repair

The area was colder when they checked with a infrared gun. One of the guys
said there is probably insulation missing there or it was moved away when
the baffles were put in. My windows are a couple years old. I ws told they
are decent windows (the low e argon gas filled or whatever you call them, I
can't figure the humidity thing out. My basement is the same humidity as the
upstairs last time I checked. It is not damp. I have a bathroom fan. I don't
cook a lot. ?????

.