Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default Another Car Battery question

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 22:41:02 -0600, "Don Young"
wrote:

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
Okay, so the switch from 6 volts to 12 volts (automobiles) was made to
save copper and other benefits that I don't remember.

Why, for the same reasons, are we not switching to 24 volts? I understand
that a few military vehicles and commercial trucks are 24 volts. Why not
our automobiles?

Anybody know?

Thanks,
Ivan Vegvary

I think one of disadvantages of higher voltages is that it could be getting
into the region where it would be a shock hazard under some conditions.
Another is that even 24 volts is getting into the arc welding region where
arcs are more likely to be sustained and more difficult to extinguish.

A relative who is a Ford mechanic indicated that Ford has plans to use a
high power 42-48 volt flywheel alternator and drive all accessories
electrically, thus eliminating the belt drives. As an aside, the early Ford
Model T used a flywheel alternator.

Don Young

And this is when the hood will only open for the manufacturer
certified technician.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada