Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco spaco is offline

Default Another Car Battery question

I too think it's 42 volts that we'll see soon. Remember that it took
from the 1920's to about 1974 or 1980 to get electronics into cars
except for the radio (and Cadillac's photomultiplier headlight dimmer).
I heard that, along with 42 volts comes a combination
starter/alternator built into the auto's flywheel. And electrically
operated valves.
One other big gain for higher voltages is that you loose less power
in the wiring, particularly for the starter.

Pete Stanaitis

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Okay, so the switch from 6 volts to 12 volts (automobiles) was made to save
copper and other benefits that I don't remember.

Why, for the same reasons, are we not switching to 24 volts? I understand
that a few military vehicles and commercial trucks are 24 volts. Why not
our automobiles?

Anybody know?

Thanks,
Ivan Vegvary