Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Another Car Battery question

On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 00:50:13 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ivan
Vegvary" quickly quoth:

Okay, so the switch from 6 volts to 12 volts (automobiles) was made to save
copper and other benefits that I don't remember.

Why, for the same reasons, are we not switching to 24 volts? I understand
that a few military vehicles and commercial trucks are 24 volts. Why not
our automobiles?

Anybody know?

I vaguely remember an article about that in Popular Science or Pop
Mech years ago, but I don't recall why it didn't catch on. Price of
components, probably.

---
The world is wide, and I will not waste my life in friction
when it could be turned into momentum.
--Frances Willard (1839 - 1898)