Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
qrk qrk is offline

Default Slightly misbehaving switcher (from SED discussion) - SwitcherMod.gif (0/1)

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 18:53:26 -0800, "Joel Koltner"
wrote:

These are some 'scope shots of a slightly misbehaving buck converter whereby
the duty cycle of the switch jitters around a bit when the input voltage is
~3V but doesn't do so at somewhat lower and higher voltages. (Output voltage
is 1.2V and maximum intended output current is around 150mA; the scope shots
were taken with a 20 ohm -- 60mA -- load connected. J6 and J7 are unjumpered
and R3 and C1 really are DNIed.)

I'm all ears for suggestions on how to improve this design, both the schematic
part and the layout. The layout is done with the idea that the four clustered
vias are the honest-to-God "ground" reference and that the controller's ground
and passive components' grounds don't see switching currents as much as
possible.

Things I've tried that didn't have a significant effect on the jitter:

-- Dropping 100nF from pin 5 to ground.
-- Increasing C3, up to at least 1nF. Actually, the design doesn't even seem
to need C3 -- I'm thinking it's there to improve the high-frequency response
of the regulator? Linear's datasheet uses a 20pF cap (with a resistor ~5x
larger) in all their examples.
-- Dropping 100nF from the R4/R5 junction to ground.
-- Changed both the input and output capacitors (C4/C5) to 10uF ceramics.
-- Raised C2 up to at least 1nF, which seriously cuts the loop bandwidth.
From doing some load step tests, down to about 2.8V the system is pretty
nicely damped and remains so at higher voltages; below 2.8V you do start to
see a handful of recovery cycles in the step response, but everything remains
stable. Dropping C2 to 100pF will make the loop unstable at voltage under
~3V.
-- Varied L1 anywhere from ~7.5uH to ~30uH. The size used -- 15uH -- is
larger than typically used, but was chosen based on staying in continuous
conduction mode down to a 20mA load with a 4.2V input.

I very much appreciate the time that people spend looking at stuff like this
on Usenet and thank you all for doing so!

---Joel

One potential layout problem is where you connect the grounds from C2,
R3, & R5. They should attach to pin-4, not the ground terminal. See
the attachment. I put the mod in cyan. This sort of thing can cause
instability if there is enough spikey current coming through the
inductor. As an experiment, you can cut this trace and attach a wire
to pin-4 and the gnd side of R3. It's worth a try if you can't find
anything else.

You have two vias inbetween L1 and C5. They shouldn't be there and you
can pick off that voltage from your Vout terminal on the bottom right.

Can you get rid of the alignment holes for J5? They take up lots of
area under U1 that could be used for beefing up the pwr and gnd
traces. However, I doubt that beefing up those traces would do
anything to cure your problem.

Your output capacitor is pretty big. What's the impedance of C5 at
1.4MHz? You may need something smaller like a 4.7 or 10uF ceramic in
addition to your 150uF beast. For such a low current supply, you can
probably get by with 10uF to 33uF.

BTW, X7R ceramic caps are fine to use. The capacitance reduces as you
apply voltage. You can look this up in an AVX catalog. X5R is OK too.
Don't use the super high-k caps as they significantly change value
with applied voltage and reduce capacitance over time.

You may want to use an R/C combo for your loop compensation (R3 & C1).
Use a trimpot for R3 while experimenting.

---
Mark