Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Q: hydrualic effects of right-angle bends in PVC water lines

On Jan 31, 4:53 pm, Zz Yzx wrote:
I recently repaired a leak in my water service lateral (1" PVC to 3/4"
copper). The fitting I replaced was hard to reach without digging a
LOT more hole. I got the copper-to-PVC adapter in well enough, but it
was damned hard to get the PVC pipes into the glued-up slip joint
because there wasn't a lot of flex available.

I thought afterwards that I could have put a series of right-angle
bends in the PVC pipe which would afford a lot more flexibility during
the repair. Is there a reason NOT to do this? Would make for stress
in the pipe? Any hydraulic effects?

THanks a heap,
-Zz

I use the rule of thumb that a 90 is like adding about 2 feet of pipe
but it depends on pipe size.

Here is a chart that gives "effective added length" for some typical
fittings by pipe size.

I was surprised to see that my "rule of thumb" was only moderately
accurate for pipes 1" or smaller.

Fittings for large pipes add much more "effective length"

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/flowchart.html

cheers
Bob