Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Q: hydrualic effects of right-angle bends in PVC water lines

I recently repaired a leak in my water service lateral (1" PVC to 3/4"
copper). The fitting I replaced was hard to reach without digging a
LOT more hole. I got the copper-to-PVC adapter in well enough, but it
was damned hard to get the PVC pipes into the glued-up slip joint
because there wasn't a lot of flex available.

I thought afterwards that I could have put a series of right-angle
bends in the PVC pipe which would afford a lot more flexibility during
the repair. Is there a reason NOT to do this? Would make for stress
in the pipe? Any hydraulic effects?

THanks a heap,
-Zz

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Zz Yzx" wrote in message

I recently repaired a leak in my water service lateral (1" PVC to 3/4"
copper). *The fitting I replaced was hard to reach *without digging a
LOT more hole. *I got the copper-to-PVC adapter in well enough, but it
was damned hard to get the PVC pipes into the glued-up slip joint
because there wasn't a lot of flex available.

I thought afterwards that I could have put a series of right-angle
bends in the PVC pipe which would afford a lot more flexibility during
the repair. *Is there a reason NOT to do this? *Would make for stress
in the pipe? *Any hydraulic effects?

THanks a heap,
-Zz- Hide quoted text -

PVC Dressler coupling? I wouldn't use one in buried service. I used
to irrigate from the creek and used one as the disconnect to remove
the pump at the end of the season. That thing coldformed the PVC pipe
reducing it in size by at least a 1/4" in a couple years. Of course
the effect was probably due to the repeated remove/replace but
still...

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 20:54:36 -0600, S. Barker wrote:
"Harry K" wrote in message

PVC Dressler coupling? I wouldn't use one in buried service. I used

Maybe you wouldn't but irrigation companies use them daily in buried
applications. It's the only sensible way to repair.

Yeah, and I've had to dig them up and effect a proper repair. Perhaps
because of the cold forming of some component, but for whatever reason
they never stay 100% water tight. Roots will find their way to those
drops of water. The roots force around the gasket and then you have a
significant leak.

Dresslers are seldom if ever appropriate for buried irrigation service.
Use a real repair coupling and proper PVC glue and all will be well. Or
if you have to, hollow out a normal coupling to make your own repair
coupling. Just don't use a dressler.

sdb
--
What's seen on your screen? http://PcScreenWatch.com
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 4:53 pm, Zz Yzx wrote:
I recently repaired a leak in my water service lateral (1" PVC to 3/4"
copper). The fitting I replaced was hard to reach without digging a
LOT more hole. I got the copper-to-PVC adapter in well enough, but it
was damned hard to get the PVC pipes into the glued-up slip joint
because there wasn't a lot of flex available.

I thought afterwards that I could have put a series of right-angle
bends in the PVC pipe which would afford a lot more flexibility during
the repair. Is there a reason NOT to do this? Would make for stress
in the pipe? Any hydraulic effects?

THanks a heap,
-Zz

I use the rule of thumb that a 90 is like adding about 2 feet of pipe
but it depends on pipe size.

Here is a chart that gives "effective added length" for some typical
fittings by pipe size.

I was surprised to see that my "rule of thumb" was only moderately
accurate for pipes 1" or smaller.

Fittings for large pipes add much more "effective length"

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/flowchart.html

cheers
Bob

Capping Water Lines [email protected] Home Repair 6 January 10th 07 12:32 PM
Rusted water lines? LurfysMa Home Repair 8 March 5th 06 03:59 PM
Air in Water Lines? Leo Home Repair 10 August 5th 05 02:45 AM
Running water lines [email protected] Metalworking 12 February 4th 05 05:18 AM
water leaking into gas lines meirman Home Repair 11 October 28th 04 02:22 AM