Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Another Car Battery question

On Feb 1, 4:50*pm, "Ivan Vegvary" wrote:
Okay, so the switch from 6 volts to 12 volts (automobiles) was made to save
copper and other benefits that I don't remember.

Why, for the same reasons, are we not switching to 24 volts?

The industry is working up standards for '42V' which will
be a 36V battery with charge voltage circa 42 volts...
just as '12V' has a 12V battery but charges at 14V or more.

Practically this will make the electronics compatible with
telephone type gear (which has 48V battery backup) instead
of the aviation/military gear (which uses 24V battery). Probably
they think it's cheaper this way.