Posted to alt.home.repair
Mortimer Schnerd, RN Mortimer Schnerd, RN is offline

Default Is a Whole house fan an asset?

cshenk wrote:
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in message
S. Barker wrote:
So put one in. It's an afternoon project.

It's not my house.

It's also not an afternoon project to put in a whole house system. S Barker
might be thinking it was just a ceiling fan being discussed.

BTW, if it's a ceiling fan you'd like, ask the owners? Most will be happy
as long as it's properly installed. You'd have to pay to have it installed
professionally *or* if they trust you but it doesnt go right, to have it
removed then profesionally installed correctly. Not messing with your head
on that, but homeowners who rent are a little careful about tenants working
on the place.

My landlord trusts me and the work I do. I've been living in his house for over
20 years now and the place is in better shape than the day I moved in.... mostly
due to the fact that I keep it up. I burned up a ceiling fan in the living room
and replaced it with a Hunter Classic. The rudimentary microwave over the stove
burned up and I replaced it with a very nice GE Spacesaver several generations
newer than the original. I put in the screen/storm doors. I generally don't
bother to ask permission, I just do it. The understanding is that any
improvements I make stay with the house when I move. In the meanwhile, I have
the pleasure of using the upgraded features. And in return, the landlord hasn't
raised the rent in over 15 years.

I don't plan on moving any time soon, either. I like where I live, although the
neighborhood has slipped some since I first arrived. But that's another story.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com