Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default RUST PROBLEM

".-.MINDY.-." wrote

Thanks for all the help I have received from you all in the past... but
I now have another situation. In one of my bathrooms I have a plastic
type toilet bowl. It is porcelain on the outer part... but the inner
part of the bowl that the water touches is a plastic. I had been gone &

I think I know the contruction you mean. It's polyurythane I think but yes,
a sort of heavy 'plastic'.
I lived in a trailer for several years as a college student and had one of
those. RV's have them too I think.

I noticed that rust has formed through out where the water is. It is
hardened & not where I can just easily wipe or use a toilet brush to
remove it. When I use a toilet brush it has the effect of getting the
water brown & so I know I am getting something off... but this can take
ages. Is there anything I can use that is not caustic or harmful? I was
thinking of using the product called Soft Scrub. Would that be okay to
try??? Thanks! ..Mindy

Sure! There's other things but that would be my first choice as it cant
hurt anything. If you follow the other folks suggestion as the hardware
store, be sure to check the label carefully for it's use with your 'plastic'
type. Some of them can be damaging if not the right product, especially if
used frequently. To get at hard to reach areas, consider a baby bottle
brush g. Cheap but effective for where a regular toilet bowl brush cant
reach. Not very strong, but you shouldnt need much.