Posted to alt.home.repair

Default RUST PROBLEM

Thanks for all the help I have received from you all in the past... but
I now have another situation. In one of my bathrooms I have a plastic
type toilet bowl. It is porcelain on the outer part... but the inner
part of the bowl that the water touches is a plastic. I had been gone &
I noticed that rust has formed through out where the water is. It is
hardened & not where I can just easily wipe or use a toilet brush to
remove it. When I use a toilet brush it has the effect of getting the
water brown & so I know I am getting something off... but this can take
ages. Is there anything I can use that is not caustic or harmful? I was
thinking of using the product called Soft Scrub. Would that be okay to
try??? Thanks! ..Mindy

Posted to alt.home.repair

..-.MINDY.-. wrote:
Thanks for all the help I have received from you all in the past... but
I now have another situation. In one of my bathrooms I have a plastic
type toilet bowl. It is porcelain on the outer part... but the inner
part of the bowl that the water touches is a plastic. I had been gone &
I noticed that rust has formed through out where the water is. It is
hardened & not where I can just easily wipe or use a toilet brush to
remove it. When I use a toilet brush it has the effect of getting the
water brown & so I know I am getting something off... but this can take
ages. Is there anything I can use that is not caustic or harmful? I was
thinking of using the product called Soft Scrub. Would that be okay to
try??? Thanks! ..Mindy

We use "Iron Out" in toilets but also in dishwasher and clothes washer
where there are plastics.

Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 12:52*pm, Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:
.-.MINDY.-. wrote:
[...]

Go to any hardware or home center store. In the plumbing section they
have rust stain remover products. They work so fast, I was amazed.
When I did it, I just poured some on and in a few secs the stain was
gone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

".-.MINDY.-." wrote

Thanks for all the help I have received from you all in the past... but
I now have another situation. In one of my bathrooms I have a plastic
type toilet bowl. It is porcelain on the outer part... but the inner
part of the bowl that the water touches is a plastic. I had been gone &

I think I know the contruction you mean. It's polyurythane I think but yes,
a sort of heavy 'plastic'.
I lived in a trailer for several years as a college student and had one of
those. RV's have them too I think.

I noticed that rust has formed through out where the water is. It is
hardened & not where I can just easily wipe or use a toilet brush to
remove it. When I use a toilet brush it has the effect of getting the
water brown & so I know I am getting something off... but this can take
ages. Is there anything I can use that is not caustic or harmful? I was
thinking of using the product called Soft Scrub. Would that be okay to
try??? Thanks! ..Mindy

Sure! There's other things but that would be my first choice as it cant
hurt anything. If you follow the other folks suggestion as the hardware
store, be sure to check the label carefully for it's use with your 'plastic'
type. Some of them can be damaging if not the right product, especially if
used frequently. To get at hard to reach areas, consider a baby bottle
brush g. Cheap but effective for where a regular toilet bowl brush cant
reach. Not very strong, but you shouldnt need much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

..-.MINDY.-. wrote:

Thanks for all the help I have received from you all in the past... but
I now have another situation. In one of my bathrooms I have a plastic
type toilet bowl. It is porcelain on the outer part... but the inner
part of the bowl that the water touches is a plastic. I had been gone &
I noticed that rust has formed through out where the water is. It is
hardened & not where I can just easily wipe or use a toilet brush to
remove it. When I use a toilet brush it has the effect of getting the
water brown & so I know I am getting something off... but this can take
ages. Is there anything I can use that is not caustic or harmful? I was
thinking of using the product called Soft Scrub. Would that be okay to
try??? Thanks! ..Mindy

CLR or a generic equivalent. CLR stands for Calcium, Lime, Rust. Very
good product.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

..-.MINDY.-. wrote:
Thanks for all the help I have received from you all in the past... but
I now have another situation. In one of my bathrooms I have a plastic
type toilet bowl. It is porcelain on the outer part... but the inner
part of the bowl that the water touches is a plastic. I had been gone &
I noticed that rust has formed through out where the water is. It is
hardened & not where I can just easily wipe or use a toilet brush to
remove it. When I use a toilet brush it has the effect of getting the
water brown & so I know I am getting something off... but this can take
ages. Is there anything I can use that is not caustic or harmful? I was
thinking of using the product called Soft Scrub. Would that be okay to
try??? Thanks! ..Mindy

The problem is that rust (iron oxide) is not soluble in water. Trying
to remove it with bleach and a number of other products will likely
exacerbate the problem.

Go to a good hardware store, or paint store and look for wood bleach.
Make sure that it is oxalic acid, not some other composition. Pour a
cup of this in and let it dissolve and wait several hours, or a day.
You may need to repeat the process to get all of the rust out.

Oxalic acid, a white powder, when dissolved reacts with he rust (iron
oxide) and creates iron oxalate. Iron oxalate is one of the few iron
compounds that is water soluble.

Note, although present in green leafy vegetables, oxalates are poisonous
so don't eat it.

Boden

Jenn Air DW rust problem [email protected] Home Repair 1 July 29th 06 07:59 PM
rust gene Home Repair 2 June 7th 06 11:40 PM
rust problem Jim & Sharon Woodworking 5 February 3rd 05 07:02 AM
Rust Removal- Rust covering? Tilt Trailer mechanisms Gunner Metalworking 22 September 14th 04 07:55 PM