Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen Dan Espen is offline

Default Sand in deck paint for non-skid surface?

writes:

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 21:09:38 -0600, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Simpson writes:

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Don't use silica sand, play sand, or such. It is a very hard abrasive and
will destroy stuff as it sheds off the paint. Paint stores sell pumice for
an anti-skid additive.

Paint stores that sell silica sand for paint must have it wrong then?

I wouldn't find that surprising.
People want non-skid paint, they sell it.

If possible, I would use composite instead of wood.
No painting needed, never rots, it's non-skid to start with.

Only issue is composite needs more support since it
is not as rigid as wood.