Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Swipe Card Lock for my House

Jim Yanik wrote:

"Mark" wrote in
:

"Pete C." wrote in message
" wrote:

On Jan 29, 10:36�pm, Aleksey wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I need to install a swipe card lock for the front door of my
house. I do not know of any good models or much about these locks
period. I was wondering if anyone could tell me of any reliable
models. I need one that is reliable, would look good on a front
door, and could handle many people using it on a daily basis.

Does anyone have one of these locks on their door?

The only model I have been able to find
is:http://www.lock-depot.com/Scripts/pr...?idproduct=154. I
don't
know much about it however and wont purchase it unless I wont find
any better alternatives.

If anyone could help me out or give me some input I would much
appreciate it.

there are ones that detect the presence of a key fob like device,
get near the lock it opens instantly, and for those without a fob a
touchpad can give them access too.

Absolutely you want a non contact proximity card / fob type system
and mount the reader head relatively low so with the card or fob in
your pocket you can just bump the reader when your hands are full
with groceries or whatnot.

You might be able to unlock with a 'bump' but unless the lock includes
the latch as well you are probably still going to have to turn the
knob to open the door.

I've spent much of the last decade working in an environment with prox
cards and electric door latches. Waving your hip with the prox card
badge by the deader and then pushing through the door. Very convenient.

Didya see that commercial on TV for the voice-operated "sync" software in
some auto?

girl approaches office glass door;says "door open",and then she slams into
the still-closed door,spills latte all over glass door.....

So,you have your RFID fob in pocket,approach door,speak "door open" and
PRESTO! 8-)

Give the wonderful job that MacroSloth Word / Excel mangled a simple
document with a couple embedded spreadsheet objects on me recently, I
certainly wouldn't use any MacroSloth voice control software for
anything important.