Jonathan Ward

Default 6 volt Hobbs meter

solid state semiconductor regulator chip, in this case it

Dern it, I should have explained better.
Yes, it is an hourmeter. Round and made to fit in an instrument panel hole
approx 2 1/8 dia.
Nope, have no idea what the current draw is. How do I measure that?
Semi conductor chip....is this what is called a zener by someone else?

A zener diode and a voltage regulator are not the same. If you had a
zener diode rated at 6 volts for the avalanche point, then it is
guaranteed to have a voltage drop of 6 volts from lead to lead, if you
hook it up properly. Because of this when you hook it up in series like
the other guy described, 12-6 =6

The voltage regulator is the much more sophisticated way of doing it. If
you use one of those, the voltage will always be 6 volts no matter what.

The trouble with both parts is getting one big enough to handle the current.

-Jonathan