Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Light switches in "L"-shaped hallway

BETA-32 wrote:
wrote in message

use a 25 watt light bulb never a digital VOM it will give you unusable
readings by capitance coupling.

---------------------------------------

The type of device I am going to buy is like the one in this link, I think:

http://homerenovations.about.com/od/...tagetester.htm .

I'm guessing it's not really a volt meter. Instead, I think it is a device
that you touch to one wire (not two) to see if it is "hot". I'm not sure
that type of device could work by touching a wire that no current is flowing
through, but I saw a heater guy using one (he was in love with it) and he
claimed that even with no current flowing, it can tell of the wire is a hot
wire or a ground. Beats me, but for around 15 bucks I'll have a new toy, so
I'm going to try it.

You are correct, it detects voltage and will detect a "hot" wire. You
don't need current flow in the wire - there will be voltage with or
without current. ("Indicates live current" in the description is
technical illiteracy.) Real handy for K&T. It is non-contact - you just
touch the outside of the wire insulation. Neon test lights can also be
used but require contact.

--
bud--