Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Swipe Card Lock for my House

In article
,
aemeijers wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Not all wisdom is available on the Internet.

I don't think wisdom is available anywhere at any price, grasshopper.
But as far as information, the World Wide Web is the clearance aisle of
Wal-Mart, packaged primarily for a stunningly dumb audience.

OTOH, the internet at large (of which the WWW might be 1%, but I'm
guessing) contains a vast wealth of information, unseen by most.
Virtually everything that's ever been published in any medium, in any
language, anywhere in the world, at any time, is on the internet
somewhere.

Uh, actually NOT. An amazing amount of (mostly old) data, publications,
records, etc, has not been and likely never WILL be digitized. It simply
fails the cost-bennies test of how often it is likely to ever be
accessed. Digitizing old data is expensive, if it only exists in
hardcopy. And stuff under current copyright is often not available at
all. There are projects out there to digitize public-domain old stuff
before it vanishes, or titles the authors and publishers donate to the
cause. But it is only a tiny volume of the works published in last 20
years, much less the last 200 or 2000.

I know better, having grown up using actual paper libraries, and still
have to fight to avoid the syndrome of 'if it isn't on Google, it
doesn't exist'. Teachers are reporting it as endemic among the younger
set- to them a keyboard and a screen is their ONLY portal to recorded
storehouses of knowledge. Spending a day in the stacks, much less using
an old-style physical card catalog, would bore them to tears.

aem sends...

Uh huh. Google indexes the world wide web, not the internet. To search
the internet, information brokers pay hefty monthly subscription fees,
and per use charges in the neighborhood of $600/hour. You'd be stupified
by the astronomical volume of what has been digitized, and by the amount
of funding that goes into the effort.