Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] tbasc@bellsouth.net is offline

Default Attic Scuttle

International Residential Code 2006 (2003 version has similar
language) says:
R309.2: The garage shall be separated from the residence and its attic
area by not less than 1/2 inch gypsum board applied to the garage
side.
R309.1.1 duct penetrations. Ducts in the garage and ducts penetrating
the walls or ceilings separating the dwelling from the garage shall be
constructed of a minimum 26 gage sheet steel or other approved
material and shall have no openings into the garage.
R309.1.2 Other Penetrations. Penetrations through the separation
required in 309.2 shall be protected by filling the openings around
the penetrating item with approved material to resist the free passage
of flame and products of combustion.

I think the intent is to separate the garage from the residence.
Therefore, if you put a hatch in the ceiling of the garage, a
partition continuous from slab to roof has to be placed between garage
and dwelling and any penetrations need to be treated in accordance
with the code.

Oren wrote:
Can I add a second attic access scuttle in my garage ceiling? Present
scuttle is in the MBR closet for mechanical access.

1758 sq ft, single story home.

Attic with plumbing for NG furnace, electrical, etc.

Two ridge vents, plus soffit vents.

Split garages, single and double - attached.

I would like to add an attic scuttle in the two car garage. This
garage has the breaker panel, gas water heater, softener, tools,
etc....

Thanks.

The County Web site gets me this far*

*
R807.1 Attic Access
Section R807.1 is amended to read:

R807.1 Attic Access. In buildings with combustible ceiling or roof
construction which have electrical, plumbing or mechanical fixtures or
equipment installed within the attic space, an attic access opening
shall be provided to attic areas that exceed 30 square feet (2.8 m2)
and have a vertical height of 30 inches (762 mm) or greater
The rough- framed opening shall not be less than 22 inches by 30
inches (559 mm by 762 mm) and shall be located in a hallway or other
readily accessible location. A 30-inch (762 mm) minimum unobstructed
headroom in the attic space shall be provided at some point above the
access opening. See Uniform Mechanical Code for access requirements
where mechanical equipment is located in
attics.

Oren