Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Attic Scuttle

Can I add a second attic access scuttle in my garage ceiling? Present
scuttle is in the MBR closet for mechanical access.

1758 sq ft, single story home.

Attic with plumbing for NG furnace, electrical, etc.

Two ridge vents, plus soffit vents.

Split garages, single and double - attached.

I would like to add an attic scuttle in the two car garage. This
garage has the breaker panel, gas water heater, softener, tools,
etc....

Thanks.

The County Web site gets me this far*

*
R807.1 Attic Access
Section R807.1 is amended to read:

R807.1 Attic Access. In buildings with combustible ceiling or roof
construction which have electrical, plumbing or mechanical fixtures or
equipment installed within the attic space, an attic access opening
shall be provided to attic areas that exceed 30 square feet (2.8 m2)
and have a vertical height of 30 inches (762 mm) or greater
The rough- framed opening shall not be less than 22 inches by 30
inches (559 mm by 762 mm) and shall be located in a hallway or other
readily accessible location. A 30-inch (762 mm) minimum unobstructed
headroom in the attic space shall be provided at some point above the
access opening. See Uniform Mechanical Code for access requirements
where mechanical equipment is located in
attics.

Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 13:17:08 -0800, Oren wrote:

Can I add a second attic access scuttle in my garage ceiling? Present
scuttle is in the MBR closet for mechanical access.

1758 sq ft, single story home.

Attic with plumbing for NG furnace, electrical, etc.

Two ridge vents, plus soffit vents.

Should read gable vents, oops.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Yes. You can have as many as you want. The code requires access and
sets the minimum number that you must have and for what. There is no

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

International Residential Code 2006 (2003 version has similar
language) says:
R309.2: The garage shall be separated from the residence and its attic
area by not less than 1/2 inch gypsum board applied to the garage
side.
R309.1.1 duct penetrations. Ducts in the garage and ducts penetrating
the walls or ceilings separating the dwelling from the garage shall be
constructed of a minimum 26 gage sheet steel or other approved
material and shall have no openings into the garage.
R309.1.2 Other Penetrations. Penetrations through the separation
required in 309.2 shall be protected by filling the openings around
the penetrating item with approved material to resist the free passage
of flame and products of combustion.

I think the intent is to separate the garage from the residence.
Therefore, if you put a hatch in the ceiling of the garage, a
partition continuous from slab to roof has to be placed between garage
and dwelling and any penetrations need to be treated in accordance
with the code.

Oren wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Not exactly. A scuttle hole in the garage will not require a fire rated
wall between the garage and the house. Use a piece of drywall for the
scuttle hole cover and you are fine. I have never had a problem even
with pull down stairs (which are not fire rated). The attic access is
usually in the garage, and is usually a pull down stair. Provides
access to the entire attic. This is true for all of central Texas.

YMMV.

Oren wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 13:17:08 -0800, Oren wrote:

Can I add a second attic access scuttle in my garage ceiling? Present
scuttle is in the MBR closet for mechanical access.

1758 sq ft, single story home.

Attic with plumbing for NG furnace, electrical, etc.

Two ridge vents, plus soffit vents.

Split garages, single and double - attached.

I would like to add an attic scuttle in the two car garage. This
garage has the breaker panel, gas water heater, softener, tools,
etc....

Just cut the whole and be done with it.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 02:03:25 GMT, Robert Allison

[...]

I was in my attic recently troubleshooting the furnace, before I
called the service guy and had it fixed. (found original furnace
documents in plastic sleeve )

Looked towards the garage area; where I want the next scuttle, I
observed two things:

- there was what I considered a fire block extending from the ceiling
top plate to the roof. Not certain of full extent and how it was/is
built.

- through this apparent fire block, there was a hole large enough for
any person. In fact an electrician had mentioned this to me a few
years ago.

That hole through the ply (3/4"?) would seem it would allow fire into
the rest of the attic. It *appears* to be centered over the hallway
and not a bedroom.

I will put in the scuttle in. My garage is finished with 5/8"
sheetrock on both ceiling and walls. Off to misplace the honey doo
list...

Thanks!!

Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
[...]

If the "firewall" is plywood, then it is not a fire wall. Sounds more
like a shear wall or shear truss. Although a fire wall may have plywood
on it, it must be a non combustible material (drywall) on the surface to
qualify as a firewall. According to code, a fire wall must be two
layers of 5/8" drywall, firetaped and firecaulked. A draft stop must be
one layer of drywall, firetaped and caulked.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 23:39:29 GMT, Robert Allison
wrote:

Oren wrote:
[...]

Given my observations: it is not really a fire wall. I will look
further when I cut the second scuttle in the garage.

Oren

Attic Fan, Whole House Fan, Pressurizing Attic? Scott Townsend Home Repair 3 August 26th 09 05:30 PM
owl in our attic [email protected] Home Repair 7 March 5th 07 07:16 AM
attic? Chucky D Home Repair 3 August 1st 05 12:28 PM
Attic mold issue revisited - 105 degree attic temperature today jeff Home Repair 7 March 31st 04 04:24 AM
Attic mold issue revisited - 105 degree attic temperature today jeff Home Ownership 3 March 30th 04 07:21 PM