Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Victory Victory is offline

Default is there a way to increase the light of an LED with a dial?

OK. Assuming that the wire to the left of your battery pack is "-" and the
one to the right is "+", then it connects pretty much as you have it lying
there. The short leg of the LED goes straight to battery "-". The battery
"+" wire goes to the right-hand tag of the three that are together on the
pot, as we are looking at it on the picture. The centre and left tags should
be joined together. You then need a fixed resistor of say 22 ohms connected
between the joined-together pot tags, and the long lead on the LED. This
resistor is important, as it will limit the maximum current that the LED can
draw with the pot turned right up. Without it, the LED will burn out.

http://davidd.250free.com/resistor2.gif

Ok, I have two wire setups here.
1) The first one in light GREEN is the one that works great for
turning the LED off and on, but does NOT dim or brighten it. I have
tried this setup and it works.
2) The second setup in RED is one that works great for dimming and
brightening of the LED - but does NOT turn off/on

The trouble now is getting them to work in combination so I can have
it dim and turn off/on. As I said, I have tried both of these setup
and then tried to mix and match the setup to see if I could get both
the bright/dim and the off/on to work at the SAME TIME, but to no
avail.

I have not used a resistor for either of these setup because when I
connect the TWO batteries directly to the LED (the way I have been
using it before the variable resistor), it has never been a problem
and doesn't get hot or burn out.

Can I just ask that you post replies to the bottom of any text that you are
replying to, rather than the top, as you would when replying to a personal
e-mail. It makes the thread a lot easier to follow, and whilst there are a
few that vociferously defend newsgroup top-posting, the accepted convention
is to bottom post, with top snipping if needed to aid clarity.

Thanks.

Arfa