Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_2_] mac davis[_2_] is offline

Default Time to make a bowl (for use in setting a price)

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 06:36:04 -0800 (PST), TWW wrote:

I'm surprised no one pointed out the obvious NASA flaw in your
calculations... 'tisn't Australia on the metric system? Multiply your
figures by 2.54. Tahdah, 2 to 3 times longer.

Owen:

Oh how I wish I could agree with you. It would mean I am not at the
end of the pack in how long something takes

Raffan in his book also has a metric system rule of thumb (ROT) but I
did not include it in the original post (ethnocentrism at work I
suppose). For a 3" x 10" bowl taking 30 minutes Raffan 's metric
ROT used 25.5 cm x 7.5 cm = 187.6. Then his rule of thumb when using
the metric system says divide by 6 and you get 31.25 minutes. But
like I said I like your numbers better.

Shamelessly ripped off from other turners:

How Long Does It Take To Turn One of Those?

Do you mean…
Not plant the tree, but find the wood,
just 'see' the piece, (as if I could)?
to find a highly figured burl,
a crotch, an eye, or pearly curl?
And once I spy it, perhaps buy it,
inventory, store, and dry it?
Then saw or cut it, possibly I kiln it'
glue, imbue with fill, or drill it?
You mean, that once I'm satisfied
it's stopped the warps, checks, cracks, once dried?
And mounted on the lathe, to turn it,
Which takes much practice, just to learn it;
and then employ a gouge, or two,
or use a skew, which I don't eschew,
to mold it, shape it (what's your pleasure?)
by all means, I'm sure to measure,
then sand it smooth, please wear your mitts,
from coarse to fine, 10,000 grits,
then braze, or burnish, paint, or polish,
(the goal: enhance, and don't demolish)?
Is that your question, start to end,
how long's that path, its way to wend?
Or do you merely want to know how long it turned?
One hour, or so.

Mac Davis, Baja Woodcraft

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing